Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Survivor's Guilt?

Harriet continues to improve at an astonishing rate! She still has pain, but here are some of the things that have happened in the past two weeks:

1. She's driving again. (Exciting progress in terms of her pain, but it is also like being driven around town by someone who is trying to kill me.)

2. She has applied for a couple of summer jobs.

3. She is doing (some) schoolwork, on her own, no prodding from me.

4. She is helping out with Gunny the Magnificent Chewing Puppy and has decided she wants to train him to be a therapy dog so she can help other people.

All of this is fantastic, miraculous, joyful, hopeful as we watch her heal and look forward to a pain-free day for her sometime in the future. It really seems possible now!

And then... THEN... I feel guilty. I feel awful when I tell another Pain Parent about Harriet's progress. Because I remember that I was happy for other Pain Parents when their kids got well, but my heart tore open as I wondered, "Why not MY kid?" So here I am on the other, happier side of that equation and it is tearing me up. Is this some kind of survivor's guilt? Am I being silly or hypersensitive? I just can't decide.

What do you think? Is it encouraging to hear that someone else is healing when your child is still hurting? Or does it make you feel worse?

3 comments:

  1. Melissa, thank you so much for the update. I was hopeful you might have another update now that you're even further down the road from surgurery? My wife too is a chronic migraine sufferer and is definitely considering decrompression... Any thoughts/advice you'd offer now that you're nearly 2 years removed from the procedure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, I'm so sorry to hear that your wife is suffering. Chronic pain of any kind is exhausting and soul-stealing, and I know for you it is just as horrible to see her in pain.

    Harriet is doing very well. She continued to improve for maybe 8 months after the surgery. By that time, she only had the migraine-like pain in her forehead - a site the surgeon did not work on. So, about a year after surgery #1, she had the forehead nerves decompressed. The recovery from surgery #2 was a walk in the park compared to the first one - she felt great within a couple of weeks.

    Fast forward to today: Harriet is back in school (on track to graduate on time, we hope), has a job and a boyfriend (!), plays her music too loud, runs around with her friends and is currently on a mission trip in another country. Before the first surgery, she couldn't tolerate a trip to the grocery store, much less international travel. She still has a little pain but takes no prescription pain medications. After life at a 9/10 all the time, a 3 is no big deal to her. The surgeon is considering a stem cell injection in her forehead to help this last level of pain, so we may try that. Still deciding...

    Would we do it again? In a heartbeat. Surgery is not for everyone, but if nothing else is working and the pain is stealing your life, surgery looks pretty darn good. Nerve decompression surgery gave my daughter her life back, and it gave me my kid back. Last May, she got into a fender bender on prom night and all I could think was, "Yes! She's well enough to wreck her dad's car!" (For the record, Hubs had a slightly different take on the situation.)

    My advice would be to get evaluated by an experienced nerve decompression surgeon. More of these surgeons are practicing around the country than there were a couple of years ago, so it is getting easier to find this kind of help. I emphasize "experienced" because every case is unique and I believe you're in better hands with a surgeon who has been at this for a while. Good luck and best wishes to you and your wife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa!
      I was diagnosed with ON in July 2013 and was in hell for 1.5years going through exactly what you and your daughter went through until finding out about surgery! I have no freakin idea why I didn't find it sooner, but I feel i googled everything and never saw it come up! I am so happy to hear Harriet is better! Much better as it sounds, but you STOPPED blogging in March of 2012 and this is your only update in years since David commented! PLEASE email me at mjcorsillo@gmail.com and please let me know if its ok to talk to you personally! I am 5 weeks post-op from ON surgery in the back of my head, and I need to talk to you! I had the surgery done in NJ. I am originally from Westechester, NY, but now living in Florida so I had to travel and pay ALOT to get this done! Florida doctors know absolutely zero about this condition and there are zero surgeons here that do it. I never had migraines in my entire life! Nowhere in my head hurt, and if I had a headache I'd take advil and move on. In July 2013 it started out of nowhere in the left side of the back of my head, and it never went away! I had surgery Nov 9, 2015 and would seriously love to talk to you and your daughter if possible. Thank you for your blog which I too found on MDjunction, and I hope to hear from you!

      Delete