Saturday, March 3, 2012

"My Secret"

Not a lot of children's books out there address what it is like to be in chronic pain. But here's one!

My Secret, by Gretchen Rautman

Here's the book description from the link:

"This is the story of a child's struggle with a secret; that she is in pain. The child does not know how to share her secret, and is scared of what people will think of it. Through the story, the child learns how to share her secret and cope with the pain. This book is based on my experiences with chronic migraine as a young child. It includes talking points at the end of the book for adults to help get an idea of what their child who is suffering is going through. This book can bring an understanding between adults and children who are suffering. It can be very scary to a child to be forced to deal with chronic pain, and my wish is that this book can help comfort and inform. All proceeds go to the Migraine Research Foundation."

Because the author herself has childhood experience with pain, I have high hopes that she'll provide a useful perspective. If you and your child have read this book and found it to be helpful, please let us know!

(My chronic pain kiddo may be a little old for this, being 16 and therefore knowing EVERYTHING [insert eyeroll], but I might get it for her anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment